Sunday, September 25, 2011

Apple Pie

Every year about this time I get so excited when I see caramel apples in the store.  You know, the ones with the nuts on the outside?  I love love LOVE those things!  To me, nothing says fall like apple pie.  And pumpkin.  This really is my favorite time of year. 

This is my mom's recipe for apple pie and it truly is my all time favorite.  It is so simple.  Just apples and a few spices but it is heavenly!  Especially when topped with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.

Apple Pie

1 pkg deep dish frozen pie shell
7-8 apples (I like to use Rome or Gala), chopped or sliced, whichever you prefer
3/4 cups sugar
2 tbs. flour
1 tsp cinnamon
dash nutmeg
dash salt
2 tbs butter

Preheat oven to 400.  Combine sugar, flour, spices and salt.  Mix with apples.  Put apple mixture into crust.  Dot with butter and place second crust on top.  Brush top with milk and sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar or just plain sugar.  Put pie on a rimmed cookie sheet and bake for 50 minutes.  If the crust gets too brown at the end you can cover with foil.

1 comment:

  1. This looks absolutely wonderful! I just brought home a whole bunch of apples from the farmer's market. I know exactly what I'm doing with them!

    ReplyDelete