Friday, January 6, 2012

Classic Macaroni and Cheese


I have many hobbies. I love to cook. I love to knit. I love to crochet. I love to read. And I believe I am pretty good at all of those things.

At this point in my life, photography is not a hobby of mine. Which explains why the pictures on this blog are not the greatest. I'm not a food stylist, nor do I try or aspire to be. And to be honest, when dinner is ready and my family is hungry I'm lucky to be able to get any pictures of the food at all!

I read a LOT of food blogs and admire the beautiful photos but in reality that is not my forte. And I need to be ok with that.

My goal with this blog is to share recipes that I like with my friends and family (and anyone else who chooses to read).

This blog also sort of serves as my own personal cookbook. I frequently go to it and cook straight from it. I love to try new recipes and this blog helps me to keep track of all my favorites.

Ok, rant over. On to recipe.

I love homemade mac and cheese. I think my current favorite is Pioneer Woman's,
which I thought I had posted here but I guess not.

Her mac and cheese (like many others) gets baked in the oven. And while super delicious indeed, I was looking for something different. Something a little quicker and maybe a little saucier since baked mac and cheese can get a little dried out.

I found this recipe online and it's definitely a keeper. Since it's made on the stove top, it's really fast and easy and it comes out with a nice cheesy sauce.

This recipe makes a lot. Probably about 8 servings if you are using this as a side dish. Maybe less for a main dish. I made it as a side dish and next time I think I will halve the recipe.

Classic Macaroni and Cheese
via Sing For Your Supper

1 pound elbow macaroni pasta
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
salt and pepper
1 12-ounce can evaporated milk (feel free to use reduced fat milk)
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
8 ounces Velveeta cheese, cubed

Boil the pasta until al dente then drain and set aside.

While pasta is boiling, make the sauce. Melt the butter in a large pan over medium heat. Stir in the flour, ground mustard, salt and pepper and whisk for 1 minute. Slowly pour in the milk and whisk constantly until it thickens. Add the cheeses and stir until melted.

Pour the sauce over the macaroni and stir to coat. Serve immediately.



Linking this post to: Foodie Friday at The Country Cook

2 comments:

  1. Ditto! I love it when I get comments and find out that people have tried recipes on my blog, but I mainly do it for myself, and a couple family members that I know look at it, too. I post pictures for my husband and kids! lol I have them pick recipes for supper a lot, and to see a picture helps them remember what it was! lol Only I need to be concerned with how to make it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am always looking for a new and better homemade mac n cheese recipe! Thanks for linking back up to Foodie Friday! :)

    ReplyDelete