Monday, January 2, 2012

Loaded Baked Potato Soup


I have been wanting to try making potato soup for a long time. I found and pinned this recipe a while back from Mommy's Kitchen. This was a great recipe! We had it with homemade bread and it was perfect winter comfort food!

This recipe probably makes enough for 4-6 servings. My hubby and I were the only ones who ate it and we had a lot left over so next time I will probably halve the recipe.

This is a pretty easy recipe but I made it even easier by using a couple of my favorite supermarket shortcuts.

I used these Steam n' Mash potatoes, which are basically peeled and cubed frozen potatoes that you just pop in the microwave. I love them. I also used pre-cooked bacon. These were both huge time savers!




Loaded Baked Potato Soup
via Mommy's Kitchen

4 - baking potatoes - I used Steam n' Mash instead
2/3 cup butter
2/3 cup all purpose flour
4 - cups milk
2 - cups chicken broth
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
12 - slices bacon, cooked & crumbled - I used Oscar Meyer Fully Cooked Bacon
1/2 cup chopped green onions
1 - cup shredded Cheddar cheese
1 - 8oz container sour cream

Bake potatoes in the oven or microwave. Scoop out the inside of the potato and set aside. Cook bacon in the oven while the potatoes bake at 350 degrees until crispy. Crumble and set aside. Melt butter in a large pot over medium low heat. Stir in flour to make a roux. Cook about one minute stirring constantly.

Gradually pour in the chicken broth and milk while stirring. Turn the heat to medium and cook the soup until it starts to thicken.

Add the potatoes, salt, pepper, bacon and cheese. Stir well and continue to heat for about 15 minutes allowing the flavors to blend. Mix in sour cream until well blended. Serve immediately. Garnish with green onions, additional bacon and shredded cheese.

1 comment:

  1. I made this tonight looking for a recipe with the steam and mash. I had an idea of what to do but this helped me sort it out. Turned out great, thanks! My picky eater swears it is just like O'Charley's.

    ReplyDelete