Thursday, July 21, 2011

Cake Batter Rice Krispy Treats

Today's recipe comes from Kaitlin from Kaitlin in the Kitchen.  

Cake Batter Rice Krispie Treats seem to be all the rage in food blog land because I have seen them on many of the blogs I have visited.  We love Rice Krispie Treats (who doesn't??) so I knew I had to give this recipe a try. 

I have to say that the addition of cake mix really does give a regular Rice Krispie Treat a nice new flavor.  And sprinkles instantly make everything more fun!!

The Stars of the Show:

Rice Krispies, marshmallows, white cake mix, butter, rainbow sprinkles.


The method for making Cake Batter Rice Krispie Treats is similar to making regular Rice Krispie Treats.  Start with melting the butter in a pot (I sure wish I had a large non-stick pot for this).   Once the butter is melted throw in the marshmallows.


 Keep stirring as you melt the marshmallows.  You do not want them to burn or stick to the pan.


Once the marshmallows are melted add in the cake mix and stir until it is dissolved.

At this point, I took the pot off the heat before adding the sprinkles.  I didn't want the sprinkles to melt and turn my Rice Krispie Treats a funky color :-).

Put Rice Krispie mix into a greased pan.  I always spray my hands with cooking spray before doing this so that I can pat them down evenly without it all sticking to my hands.  I added some extra sprinkles to the top.  Pretty!

I really hope you give this new take on an old treat a try!  You won't be disappointed!!

Cake Batter Rice Krispie Treats
Via Kaitlin in the Kitchen

Ingredients:
3 Tablespoons Butter
1 10 oz. Package of Regular Marshmallows or 4 Cups Miniature Marshmallows
6 Cup Rice Krispies
1/3 Cup White Cake Mix
1/3 Cup Rainbow Sprinkles

Directions:
Melt butter or margarine in a large sauce pan, add marshmallows and constantly stir until they are melted, then add in your cake mix and stir until it is dissolved in the marshmallows. Add your Rice Krispies and your sprinkles and mix until all of the cereal is evenly coated in marshmallow. Transfer mixture into a greased casserole dish and let cool before cutting.

2 comments:

  1. So no baking? Just heat up on top of stove? Can you do this in the microwave?

    ~Beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope, no baking. I've never done it in the microwave but I'm sure you could. You'd have to be careful not to over do it on the marshmallows though. I'd just cook long enough to melt them and watch them carefully so they don't puff up and out of the bowl!

    ReplyDelete