Saturday, July 16, 2011

Shrimp Scampi

This post probably comes as a big surprise to anyone who knows me.

I have to say that I never cook fish.  I don't like shrimp or any other seafood.  But my hubby does so I decided to try to make Shrimp Scampi for him for Father's Day.  

I decided to use a recipe I found on Picky Palate which by the way, is one of my greatest blog finds of the summer!  I stumbled across it by mistake and then spent about three days looking at all her wonderful recipes.  

Then I discovered that she was a contestant in one of the Pillsbury Bake-Off competitions and quickly recognized her from watching it on Food Network!   

After I finished working my way through all the pages of Jenny's blog I sent her a message to tell her how much I loved her blog and recipes.   

I got a nice response back from her which I will probably never delete from my inbox.  I feel like I got an email from a celebrity!

So anyway I digress.  This was a great recipe!  It was really easy to make (especially for someone who has never cooked shrimp before) and the hubs loved it!  

Peanut and Muffin loved it too although Muffin only ate the pasta, wouldn't touch the shrimp.  What can I say, he takes after his Mama.  

I will definitely keep this recipe in my recipe binder and add it to our rotation! 


Simple Shrimp Scampi

5 Tablespoons butter
2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
½ Cup finely chopped white onion
4 cloves garlic
24 medium cooked shrimp, devained, cleaned, shell removed (fresh or frozen)
2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
½ Cup chicken broth or white wine
2 pinches salt
¼ teaspoon fresh pepper
1 lb linguini fini dry pasta noodles
2 Tablespoons butter
¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
¼ Cup fresh chives chopped (I left these out)

 Place butter and olive oil into a large 5 qt skillet or other large pot over medium heat. Once melted and hot sauté onion for 3-5 minutes until softened. Stir in garlic for 60 seconds then stir in shrimp. Season with salt and pepper and cook 4-6 minutes or until pink and firm and cooked through. Stir in lemon juice and chicken broth. Reduce heat to low and set aside.

 Cook pasta according to package directions, drain and stir into shrimp. Stir in 2 Tablespoons butter, parsley and chives. Serve and enjoy!

Note:  I did not add the last 2 tablespoons of butter at the end.  There seemed to be enough butter in the sauce as it was.  This was just my preference.  If at the end your pasta looks a little dry go ahead and add the extra butter!

No comments:

Post a Comment