Saturday, July 30, 2011

Happy National Cheesecake Day!!


In honor of National Cheesecake Day I am posting the recipe for my favorite cheesecake!!

This is an old family recipe passed down from my maternal grandmother.  It has been made by my mom for many, many years and now, of course I make it too! 

Anyone who has ever tried this cheesecake falls in love with it.  And for good reason!  It is not like your average thick, dense cheesecakes.  It's got a very smooth, creamy texture as opposed to the grainy one I've noticed in some recipes.  This recipe really couldn't be easier to make, but I feel compelled to warn you that you'll need to beat the mixture for 15 minutes.  I know.  Pick your jaw up off the floor.  It is a long time, but it really is what gives this cheesecake it's velvety smooth texture.  And if you have one of these babies it's a cinch! 
My hubby surprised me with this last Christmas.  Isn't she pretty??  It's definitely one of the best gifts I've ever received and honestly don't know how I lived for so long without it!

Similar to my opposition to cottage cheese in lasagna, I am strongly against sour cream in cheesecake.  I just do not enjoy the flavor sour cream gives to cheesecake.  In fact, as soon as I see sour cream listed in the ingredients for a cheesecake recipe I turn the page.  I have nothing against sour cream, I just don't like it in cheesecake!  So needless to say, there is no sour cream in MY cheesecake!

My daughter actually loves this cheesecake and every year asks for it to be her birthday cake! 

The Stars of the Show: 

Cream cheese.  Surprised??  I didn't think so.

A graham cracker crust.  Back in the day my grandma and mom would make the crust from scratch.  Because I really don't think it makes that much of a difference in the end result, I take the help from the little elves and use a pre-made crust.

Cherry pie filling.  I have a secret.  I don't like cherries.  I don't like cherry pie filling either.  But I DO like cherry flavored things.  And I can't make this cheesecake without the cherry filling on top.  I usually just scrape off the cherries, leaving behind the yummy cherry flavored syrup.

You also need sugar, eggs and vanilla.

You definitely need to celebrate this special day with this amazing recipe!  You won't regret it!

Cheesecake
 Source: Family recipe

2 eggs
2 8-oz. packages cream cheese, softened to room temperature
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
10" graham cracker crust
1 can cherry pie filling (or blueberry)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Put first four ingredients (except pie crust) into bowl of mixer or large bowl.  Beat on low speed for 15 minutes, scraping down the bowl occasionally.  Pour into crust.  Bake 25 minutes until the top just barely begins to brown. 

Cool completely.  Top with fruit topping.  Refrigerate overnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment