Monday, October 3, 2011

Sunday Roast Chicken


Roast chicken is such a comforting meal to me.  I just loooove the potatoes and carrots that cook with the chicken.  

I made roast chicken for the first time in quite a while yesterday and the reaction I got from my kids was pretty comical.  Apparently they aren't used to seeing a whole raw chicken.  Peanut was totally grossed out and my little muffin kept calling it a pig!  They both declared that they would not eat it.  I told them they would eat it and they would love it.  They both ate it and they both loved it!  

My secret to amazing roast chicken is fresh rosemary.  I love the flavor of rosemary so I use a lot.  You can adjust it to suit your taste and you can also use dried if you don't have fresh.

Roast Chicken

1 4-5 lb chicken
1/2 lemon
1/2 yellow onion
8 cloves garlic, smashed
6-8 small red potatoes, cut into smallish pieces
1 bag baby carrots
3-4 sprigs fresh rosemary
4 tbs. butter, melted
salt and pepper

Clean chicken and place in a roasting pan.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Put the lemon half, half the onion, garlic and one sprig of rosemary inside the chicken cavity.  Add the carrots and potatoes to the pan around the chicken.  Brush the chicken with melted butter.  Pour any extra butter on the potatoes and carrots.  Chop up the rest of the rosemary and sprinkle over the chicken and vegetables.  Pour about 1/4 cup water into the pan and bake uncovered at 350 for about 2 hours or until chicken is done. 

1 comment:

  1. MMMMMmmmmmm....YUMMY!!!!!!!!!!! We love roasted chicken over here!!!! I'm totally surprised that you'll eat the potatoes and carrots, though. You do realize that everything is touching and meshing while cooking, right?

    ReplyDelete